Monday, January 17, 2011

Untitled

Just thought you guys might enjoy this little project I'm working on right now. The inspiration for this piece draws from graffiti art and the abstract expressionist style of Jackson Pollock (albeit a far cry from the likes of his detailed work).  This is the first layer I've applied so far but I expect to apply at least three more layers using heavier based paints. It's all acrylic with a mix of fabric paints fused with melted wax to create a similar texture to oil based paints. I also used some basic quality spray paint and mod-podge. I'm really excited to finish it off though; I'm gonna seal it with a coat or two of clear gloss lacquer for a glassy, hardened look and texture.

On a different, though related note, I had the luxury of enjoying a day with the family at the Norton Museum of Art in West Palm Beach. It was like an art history course all over again walking through the corridors filled with the works of Picasso, Van Gogh, and Matisse. Not much else needs to be said to expand on the aforementioned names, it was very impressive but sadly there was only one Pollock canvas and no Salvador Dali work. It's ok though, I got an eye full last year at the Salvador Dali Museum in St. Petersburg, Fl.

"Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it." ~~ Salvador Dali


No comments:

Post a Comment